Financial support when you’re working

Access to money to help you stay in the job you're in.

Payments for families with children under 18

Working for Families — Inland Revenue

Working for Families payments are for families with dependent children aged 18 or under. 

About What it's about

Entitlements are based on your yearly family income and family circumstances.

There are 4 different Working for Families payments:

  • In-work tax credit: A payment for families in paid work - for example, working for salary or wages, or self-employed.
  • Minimum family tax credit: A payment to make sure families are getting a basic income where the parent or parents work the required number of hours for salary and wages.
  • Family tax credit: A payment for each child in the family.
  • Best Start: A payment for up to 3 years for children due or born on or after 1 July 2018.

Who Who it's for

Working for Families Tax Credits are usually income tested. Your eligibility depends on the type and amount of income you earn. They are available for:

  • almost all families with children earning under $65,000 a year
  • many families with children earning up to $80,000 a year
  • some larger families earning more.

Payments when you're working to cover costs like childcare and unexpected bills

Benefits and payments available — Ministry of Social Development

If you're working and need extra help to cover your costs, Work and Income may be able to help you.

About What it's about

You can get help for lots of different costs depending on your situation, such as:

  • childcare
  • accommodation
  • school costs
  • urgent or unexpected bills (like power or food).

Who Who it's for

It's for people who are working and you don't have to be on a benefit.

Help to stay in work

Ministry of Social Development

Work and Income can offer ongoing in-work support and advice if you’ve come off a benefit to start work.

About What it's about

Ongoing support and advice to help you manage any challenges that come up. Contact is by phone or email, so you don’t have to take time off work.

Help to check if there’s any extra help you can get with costs like childcare, accommodation, health costs etc. Regular check-ins to see how things are going at home or work. Advice on working in your new job and workplace. If you stick at it you may get an extra incentive payment.

Who Who it's for

People who’ve recently stopped getting a Work and Income benefit, and who have now started working.

Last modified: