Financial help to move into work

Access to money to help you start work.

Money to help you start seasonal work

New Zealand Seasonal Work Scheme — Ministry of Social Development

The New Zealand Seasonal Work Scheme provides a range of support for people to take up seasonal work, for minimum of 6 weeks for 30 hours or more in the horticulture and viticulture industries.

Before you start a seasonal job, talk with Work and Income to see if you are eligible.

About What it's about

The New Zealand Seasonal Work Scheme provides financial support for you to take up seasonal work.

There are three main types of support available

  • Accommodation
  • Clothing, daily transport etc
  • Incentive payments

 You may be able to get more than one type of support.

Who Who it's for

It provides an opportunity for employers to employ people (for 30 hours or more) who are at risk of long-term benefit receipt in regions offering horticulture or viticulture work.

You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for the scheme.

 Work and Income consider things like your:

  • age
  • residency criteria
  • living situation and whether you need to temporarily relocate
  • work history
  • level of skills and qualifications.

Offers What it offers

There are lots of reasons to consider seasonal work - it can lead to a permanent job, or it can help you to move into other types of work using your new skills and experience.

What you could get:

  • Accommodation costs – you could get a maximum of $200 per week
  • Incentive payment – Maximum of $1,000 in a 52-week period
  • Help with daily transport to work

Help to pay for costs when you start work

Transition to Work Grant — Ministry of Social Development

You may be able to get help from Work and Income to pay for things you need to find or start a job.

About What it's about

Work and Income may be able to help you pay for things such as clothing for work, tools, living expenses until your first pay, or travel to work.

The Transition to Work grant offers up to $1,500 for costs such as relocating for work, clothing and transport for a job interview, tools or clothing for work, and other costs.

Who Who it's for

Anyone over 16 years who’s looking for or starting work. There are other criteria you need to meet as well – these are outlined on the Work and Income website.

$5k to help with costs of moving to a different region to start work

$5K to Work — Ministry of Social Development

A payment from Work and Income if you qualify for a benefit and need to move to a different region to start your new job.

About What it's about

$5k to work offers a $5,000 lump sum payment, which is not taxed to help cover the cost of moving to start a new job.

Who Who it's for

People who qualify for a benefit, have an offer for a job longer than 91 days, and need to move to a different region. There are also other criteria - these are outlined on the Work and Income website.

Funding to help pay wages while staff upskill

Flexi-wage — Ministry of Social Development

If you need support or training to get the skills you need for a job, Flexi-wage may be able to help.

About What it's about

Flexi-wage is an employment programme that helps job seekers get the skills they need to meet the requirements of a job.

Flexi-wage support can include training and in-work support (such as pastoral care) as well as a contribution to wages. The job must continue after the Flexi-wage has finished.

Work and Income may be able to support you with training or in-work support (such as pastoral care) and by paying your employer a contribution to your wages until you have the skills you need to do the job.

Work and Income will talk to your employer about what help you may need and how it can help them pay for it.  

Who Who it's for

You may be able to get Flexi-wage if you’re:

  • at risk of long-term unemployment, including if you’re on a benefit


  • disadvantaged in the labour market (this means you have, or are expected to have, difficulty getting or keeping a job). You don’t need to be on a benefit.

Last modified: